Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 11:17:02 GMT by omc
Received a Self Assessment Statement from HMRC that it charged 100 pounds late filing penalty for 20/21. According to SA370 notes, it should pay the penalty even if you appeal. I paid 100 pounds on 14 Nov 2022. A letter dated 15 December 2022 from HMRC stated that Appeal against the penalty is accepted and they'll pay back to me. However, I do not received the penalty refund up to now. As I am non-UK resident, I can only write to HMRC to check the progress of the refund. Two follow up letters dated 12 June 2023 and 2 Sept 2023 were sent but still do not received any response. Please help and advise me how to do or which appropriate party I should approach to get back the 100 pounds, thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:40:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi omc,
If unable to claim the refund online you will need to contact HMRC to review.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:31:23 GMT by omc
Hi, HMRC Admin 25, I contacted HMRC by post. The first letter dated 12 June 2023 was addressed to PT Operations, Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS. I did not receive any response and hence the second letter dated 2 Sept 2023 was sent to HMRC at Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1 AS again. However, still I have not received any response. Can HMRC send me an email, so I send my UTR to HMRC for further checking of my case and get back the 100 pounds. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:35:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We do not reply by email. If you still have not received a reply to your original submission you will need to contact our Self Assessment team to review your record.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.