Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:37:09 GMT by iron_maiden09
I completed a self assessment for year 21/22 and owed a few thousand in underpaid tax. This was to be recovered through reduction in personal allowance in tax year 23/24. However my pay has increased since and I will now not have a personal allowance in the current tax year due to earnings so not sure how this will be recovered. My question is when completing the 22/23 assessment for the questions related to underpaid tax how do I answer. The number pulled through from HMRC is £0.00 to both questions?
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:43:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The amount can still be recovered in your 2023/24 code if you are still in employment and earning enough that the collection of the underpayment will not double the amount of tax you would pay in the year.

For the 2022/23 return you would only answer regarding the 2022/23 year as the 2021/22 underpayment is being dealt with separately.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.