Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:37:22 GMT by
Hi, I invested in a company under SEIS, which sadly has now gone into liquidation. Under SEIS I am supposed to be able to now claim either CGT or Income tax relief on this loss. I have no Capital Gain to offset, and can't see where to put Income Tax relief in my Self Assessment. If I choose yes for "Do you want to claim other tax reliefs" - then I get a new page for SEIS, but this seems to be relief for when the investment is originally taken out, not if it goes into liquidation. It says "Subscription for Shares under the SEIS scheme". which doesn't seems right. Where would I claim Income Tax relief? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:20:57 GMT by
After a lot of digging, it seems I should declare this on the Capital Gains Section. HS286 says the following: "You can claim the relief by making an entry in box 41 on page CG 2 of the SA108 Capital Gains Tax summary (2023) pages. You must also include the capital losses that are the subject of your claim in box 35 on page CG 2 and give details of the capital losses on page CG 3 in the ‘Any other information’ box, box 54 or in your computations." I'm getting closer, but it won't let me put 0 in the Disposal Proceeds (box 32 on the paper form). So I guess I just put £1, and refer to this in the notes section. I also need to deduct the Tax relief that was given, and can only claim what was left. In this case 45%, so I will only put 55% of the loss in box 35. Hopefully this is all correct, adding it here in case someone else has a similar question, but if an HMRC member of staff could confirm, that would be good. Thanks
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:31:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi kjgray,
you would still claim this within the capital gains section of your tax return and your disposal value would be nil.
You want to make a claim or elction and use the drop down to select negligable value claim.
You then select to offset the loss against your other income.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:26:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi kjgray,
Please leave the box blank, where you require a nil value.
In computer terms, '0' is a number and the programming is looking for a number greater than or equal to 1.  '0' confuses it.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.