Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:47:20 GMT by
Hi I have a US corporate bond that call back before the maturity date at per (100). If I bought it at 98, may I have to know that I need to tax as a CGT or income tax of the different (100-98)? And what type of the last coupon payment? CGT or income? Besides, can I know whether the bond should be met all four criteria for classifying as QCB qualifying corporate bond or just met one criteria. Thank you very much!
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:58:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

US government bonds, sometimes known as T-bills or Treasury Bills are generally taxed as income rather than capital gains. The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments. In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity.

On a foreign investment the income is the difference between the purchase and redemption price after each has been converted to sterling on the day the transactions took place, so includes any foreign exchange gains. Losses cannot be deducted. 

You can see more information here:

SAIM3010 - Deeply discounted securities: introduction
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.