Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Apr 2023 11:58:33 GMT by
Hi, I transferred my MA to my husband to reduce his tax bill for 2021/22 but his 'tax due' amount didn't take into account the MA. In the past he's received a revised calculation showing a reduced tax payment amount due to the MA transfer which always arrived BEFORE the payment due date (ie 31st January) so he only had to pay what was 'really' due. Unfortunately for 2021/22 he never received a revised calculation so had to pay the full amount requested. There's no 'refund due' shown on his account so assume I his return hasn't been processed yet (it was submitted in December 2022) - thus will he be automatically refunded when it is or should he contact HMRC to get this looked at? Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:06:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
You husband will need to contact HMRC self assessment helpline to progress chase an amendement to his tax return.  
The self assessment helpline numbers are: Number: 0300 200 3310, Text Relay: 18001 0300 200 3310, Overseas: +44 161 931 9070 (Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.  
Closed on weekends and bank holidays.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:43:15 GMT by
Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:43:37 GMT by
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:09:30 GMT by
I had similar issue when I try to submit the self-assessment online. In the View Calculation section, I find that the "minus Personal Allowance" incorrectly shows £12,570.00 instead £13,830.00. Then I double check my tax code record in system. All shows 1383M correctly. How can I correct the allowance in this calculation before I submit self-assessment online? The deadline is coming soon so I have to settle it before Jan 31. Please advise the solution so that I can move forward. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:54:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

It could be that the transfer of allowances has not been applied because you are not eligable to receive them. To allow us to check this, and reinstate the transfer for your calculation if appropriate, please contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:36:53 GMT by
Just to update this, the issue wasn't anything to do with not being eligible for the MA transfer, it was due to the addresses on the accounts not EXACTLY matching up so the transfer didn't take place, one address was in capital letters the other in a mixture of capitals and lower case. No idea why this has suddenly happened though as we've not altered the address since we first set up our accounts so it must be either some 'tweak' they've done to the tax online software/inputs which made it be more picky, or the system had a hissy fit!
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:57:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the Marriage Allowance (MA) transfer has not been processed due to an issue with the address, then, if you have an online account you can update the address. Once updated if you allow three working days to update to our different systems and submit the MA transfer again it should then be processed.

Alternatively, you would need to contact our Income Tax team to review.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:45:06 GMT by William James
Our problem is that the MA transferred to my wife at her PAYE Code and lost to me on SA, but when she recently registered for SA, the MA hasn't appeared. Will this happen eventually, retrospectively, or will I have to submit the MA transfer again?
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 05:34:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi William James,
The transfer should happen automatically.
If you would like us to review the transfer, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.