Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 10:46:42 GMT by
My mother and father apply for BNO visa is being approved soon. But they had not decided to immigrate in UK. They would like to visit relatives in UK on coming July 2024. (using Hong Kong SAR Passport entry to UK) (Not BNO visa) They will stay within 183 days. They didnt sell the house (self-occupied house) in Hong Kong. They are plan to immigrate in UK on 2026. They plan to sale the house in Hong Kong (self-occupied house) before immigrate to UK. (using BNO visa entry to UK) HMRC when to count the Capital Gains Tax ? start to count capital gains tax from july 2024 (travelling entry date) ? For your information, they bought this self-occupied house on 1996.
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 13:31:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

HMRC cannot comment on future events as legislation, and, or plans may change.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:09:03 GMT by
Revised some contents. Because my parents plan to stay here for two years before making a immigrate decision. They will live in our house in UK. During the two years they leave, the Hong Kong house will be vacant and will not be rented out. But i heard that if you leave Hong Kong for mor than nine months, you need to pay capital gain tax when selling it, so i want to confirm what is a self-occupied property? and whether there is a nine-month period. When selling, what information is required to prove that the house is a self-occupied property throughout the period? is there anything I need to declare proactively?
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:18:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

HMRC cannot comment on future events as legislation, and, or plans may change. However, your query appears to relate to tax in Hong Kong and you would therefore need to contact the tax officials there.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.