Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:54:37 GMT by Erica Bithell
I hold power of attorney for my mother. This is registered with HMRC, and I have the identity documents required to register for online submission of her tax return. I have done that, and all good so far. However I have run into an issue immediately with the 'Tell us about you' page, because I cannot work out where to use my own details and where to use hers. The pre-populated information was definitely wrong in places, so I do need to make some changes. What I have so far is: Name: this was pre-populated with my name, but I have swapped it to hers. Was this the right thing to do? UTR: her UTR Address: this was pre-populated with a mashup of my street address and her care home's postcode so I need to fix it. Do I use her care home address (HMRC want to know where she lives), or mine (HMRC want to know where to send letters)? The care home are brilliant but it still isn't a secure destination for any tax-related post. Any letters need to come to my address. Date of birth: her DoB The other sections are straightforward. It is really the name and address that I am struggling with, because getting them wrong could cause follow-up problems! The chatbot can't deal with anything this complicated, the PoA section of the phoneline can't help because the problem is about filling in the return, and the self-assessment phoneline is not taking calls. Any help from a real human would be very gratefully received!
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 10:58:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Erica Bithell,
We are sorry for the issues you've experienced in completing your mother's return.
In this case, please enter your mother's name, and your mother's addres.
Any letters will still be sent to your address as you are nominated on her record to receive them.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.