Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 18:15:15 GMT by benjifox93
Hi, I have been employed by an Australian based company in October 2023 and worked with that company for the remaining tax year (i.e. up until 5 April 2024 albeit I am still employed with same). Prior to that, I worked in the UK and earned income here. I am domiciled in the UK, I have received advice that I am a UK resident for tax purposes. My issue is how to go about appropriately recording this income in my self assessment. I have registered for self assessment and currently filling out the return. I have included this income from Australia in the "Foreign Income" section of the self assessment. The Australian company did not pay any tax on my behalf due to my residency therefore I have recorded the income and nil for the tax paid. When completing the return its saying that HMRC owes me a refund (mainly due to my former employer overpaying my tax) but it appears that it hasn't calculated any tax on my foreign income. I am concerned that I am reporting this income in the wrong section.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 11:36:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi benjifox93,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on foreign income.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.