Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:55:51 GMT by elliew1234
It's the first time I'm filling out a tax return. I have a few uncertainties: 1. Am I self-employed? I have worked as a freelancer on individual contracts for a consultancy. The contract specifies that I am not an employee - so I assume I am self-employed. Is this correct? 2. What is my business name? Assuming that I am self-employed, the tax return asks for my business name. But I do not have a registered business. Can I just use my name here? Or should this be a registered business? 3. Class 2 NIC. Do my profits include earnings from employment? I was both employed and (I think - assuming the answer to Q1 is 'yes') self-employed last financial year. Do my 'profits' include earnings from employment, or self-employment only? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:17:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
  1. Yes, you are self employed. 
  2. It is normally your own name.   
  3. This is only your self employed income that is taken into account here.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.