Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 18:09:55 GMT by John89
Dear All, I am going to leave permamently the UK on the 12th of June and I have usually completed my Self Assessment. In the 2023/2024 tax year I would spend in the UK 68 days (from 6th of April to 12th of June). How I should notify HMRC I am leaving the country? If i send a P85 form to tell them, the I would need to complete he 2023/2024 self assessment in case of no UK based income? thank you 

Name removed Admin
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 13:10:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If when you leave, you have no reason to continue with a tax return, the P85 will suffice and your self assessment record can be closed.
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 13:20:04 GMT by John89
Thank you for your answer. To close my Self assessment record (so to prevent to have the HMRC to send the letter for 2023/2024 fiscal year), should I do something else other than sending the P85? thank you
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:31:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

No, just the P85, and you could add a note on it that the return is not required for 2023 to 2024 as you no longer meet the criteria and we will close it.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.