Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:43:24 GMT by K Y Wong
Hello, I am seeking advice on which part of tax return should I fill in (foreign/self-employment). I am working as a individual consultant (non company) for a Hong Kong Organisation (non-resident company, not under Construction Industry Scheme) under a contractor contract get paid monthly without any employee benefit which fits the terms of 'Foreign' part said 'INCOME FROM A NON RESIDENT COMPANY'. Also, I would like to voluntarily pay class 2 National Insurance. 1) Should I consider myself as a self-employment in this cases? 2) Is there any different of the term 'subcontractor' and 'contractor'? How should I defined myself in these? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:53:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi K Y Wong,
Foreign self employment income is declared in the self employment section of the tax return.
This will bring the net profit into the self assessment calculation for tax and NIC.
Only if you were required to pay foreign tax on this self employment income, do you also include on page F6 (Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income) of SA106 or the online equivalent.
This will allow you to claim up to 100% of the foreign tax paid as a Foreign Tax Credit (FTCR).
A contractor is an entity that places work with a separate entity.
A contractor can be an individual, partnership, company etc who places work with another individual, partnership, company etc.  e.g A constuction firm, may subcontract construction work to a firm of joiners or electrician.
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.