Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:34:08 GMT by
I filed my self-assessment return yesterday- the calculation in my case is pretty simple ,but I did declared share dividends but no dividend allowance was applied to the calculation at all ! If this happened to me, it is no doubt happening to other people! I see no way of complaining about this in writing other than by joining this forum and posting this message .Using the chat assistant was hopelessI it just gave me information about the marriage allowance !! I would send a screenshot of the reply it gave me, but there doesn’t seem to be any facility to make attachments on this site ! So who do I contact to get this sorted out?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:01:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The dividends are still taxable income and will be added to show this. However, further down the calculation, you should be able to see that the first £2000 is taxed at 0 percent and anything over this is then taxed according to the level of other income declared.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 04 Feb 2024 22:11:41 GMT by
Thank you very much for your reply -I’m sure it SHOULD say that on the calculation, but it doesn’t Which is the whole point!! It calculates my total income -pensions et cetera plus share dividend ,then it goes :tax relief (the loss from my self-employment )then it goes personal allowance and then it deducts the total of those two from my total income! !!I don’t mind anyone seeing the figures but I don’t see a way of sending you the screenshot of that calculation?
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 12:35:55 GMT by
I have now understood what is going on here . There is no line further down, as you described, saying any divi total under £2000 is taxed at 0% -there is no explanation at all !What happens is :the figure that is taxed at 20% is just different from the figure that is calculated as the difference between my income minus my allowances -it just jumps from one to the other there is no explanation However this means I have not been taxed on my share dividends ,and my tax IS correct ,so I do not need to pursue this anymore -as ultimately the calculation is correct! I do think ,though that the calculation ,in future could give a better explanation of what’s going on! Nevertheless thanks very much for your help!
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 11:40:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Timbeau,
You will need to contact HMRC to review the calculation regarding the dividend allowance:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.