Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:39:12 GMT by
Hi, I was lucky enough to receive a PhD studentship, which I know isn't taxable, but I also receive rental income. Do I have to pay tax on top of the studentship? My tax return is saying that I don't have to pay any tax at all because the rental income falls below the minimum threshold, but my total 'income' is the rent + the studentship so is more than the threshold. Is the zero total correct? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:20:57 GMT by
Further to this - if the zero total is not correct, how do I reflect the studentship money in the self-assessment form? Thank you again!
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:39:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

The rental income is taxable income but if your total taxable income is below your personal allowances, no tax will be due.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 09:45:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You do not include it as that income is not taxable.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 09:48:22 GMT by
This is great! Thank you so much for the clarification - and happy new year :)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.