Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:19:20 GMT by
This is the first time I report the Capital Gain. After input the Number of disposals, Disposal proceeds, Allowable costs and Gains in the year before losses, (I leave all other fields blank), after pressing "Save and continue", it kept on this page with red warning box "The figures you have entered indicate that a relief has been claimed but you have answered no to the question 'Are you making any claims or elections'. Please take time to check your entries are correct and supply a full computation with your return. Please advise, related to this "Are you making any claims or elections": 1. What is the meaning of "Claims or elections"? 2. Is this question related to the figures I input? (total proceeds? total gains?) 3. Would you advise me to ignore the warning , keep the answer of this question blank (but the warning will display) and continue to next page? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:56:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,
  1. Are you claiming anything that can reduce the amount of taxable gain that you have, this can be anything from private residence relief for property, business asset relief, it depends on what you have sold.  
  2. Yes, it is.    
  3. If you are not making any elections, you can save and continue. Further guidance on elections is on page 3 of:

Capital Gains Summary notes
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.