Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:24:57 GMT by p9dyl
My wife currently claims child benefits. I am due to work overseas in the near future, My UK income for the tax year will be approx £30k, I will earn approx 40k worth of foreign earnings to make a total of 70k for the year. Does my foreign earnings for the year count towards my child benefit calculation or only income earned in the UK?
Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:44:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi p9dyl,
If you are still UK resident when working overseas then the UK has taxing rights on your worldwide income and you will be required to include your foreign earnings in your
Self Assessment return.
This income will be included in calculating your Higher income child benefit charge.
Please see:
High Income Child Benefit Charge
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.