Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 14:53:54 GMT by Chen Lee
When I used the HMRC website to check how I can claim a tax refund (https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund) I was told that I need to sign in online using a government gateway ID. However, I am unable to confirm my identity for my government gateway ID as I do not have a national insurance number or a UK post code. Indeed, when prompted to enter my UK post code I was told that it does not match the HMRC records, but the only relevant post code I can think of is that of my rental property in the UK (I do not, and have never lived in the UK). Please can you advise if I can claim tax refund using a different method, thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:11:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chen Lee,
If you have UK rental income and live abroad, you should be completing a Self Assessment tax return as you are a non resident landlord.
You can claim a refund via the tax return.
Tax on your UK income if you live abroad.
Thank you.

Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:12:31 GMT by Chen Lee
Thank you. However I have a further question. I completed the self assessment tax return for the year 2021-2022 and was then asked to pay the relevant tax for my rental income which I paid. However, I should not have been liable for the tax due, because I have personal allowance as I am a British citizen. At the time of payment I had not given evidence for my citizenship, but I have now provided this evidence to the HMRC, as acknowledged by the HMRC, and I was also informed that HMRC agrees I did not and do not have to file any self assessment forms for the years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. In this case, how should I request a refund for the tax that I paid for the year 2021-2022?
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:56:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chen Lee,
As previously advised, as a non resident landlord, you still need to submit a UK tax return.
You can claim the refund on the tax return.
For any credit balance already there, you can telephone +44 161 931 9070 to have the refund issued.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.