Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:43:40 GMT by Mars Mlodzinski
With the cost of living going up, my wife and I have decided that we will start freelancing this year to get some income. At present, £0-£12,570 is a zero tax band, which I assume applies to both us. With that in mind, my question is whether we can submit a spousal self assessment where our combined income would be taxed at a zero rate if it's below £25,140 (£12,570 each) or must we maintain separate accounts and submit separate self assessment returns. Thank you advance for your assistance.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:58:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

No. Each person is responsible for their own tax affairs and you would both need to submit a tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.