Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:29:02 GMT by Valerio
Hi, when I moved in UK, in order to get my Dependant VISA, I had to pay for the NHS and I'm going to pay again to extend the VISA. I'm currently employed by a UK company and, so, I have monthly NHS deductions from my salary. Am I paying the NHS taxes twice, or those two are separeted and distinguished things? If yes, can you please explain me how? I do appreciate your help. Many thanks, 
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:51:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
These are 2 different things.
The skilled worker visa charges you as per this link - Skilled Worker visa.
The tax is what everyone pays if their income is over £12570 per tax year.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:13:23 GMT by Valerio
Hi, I can understand these are 2 different things but I'd like to have more details. Let me explain: if I don't have a UK job, the VISA related NHS charge I pay allows me to access national insurance services, right? In the same way, do people who don't need a VISA access the same services by paying NHS tax as monthly deduction? If so, I'm paying twice to access the same services and that seems wrong. If not, can you please explain me how the 2 things are different? Many thanks.
Posted Sat, 02 Dec 2023 15:20:13 GMT by Bella Boo
National insurance is not an NHS tax or surcharge. It is a social security contribution that is paid on earned income (from employment or self employment). What visa holders pay is an NHS surcharge so they can access free healthcare. So if you have paid the NHS surcharge and are having NI deducted from your wages then this would be correct. If it isn't National insurance you're asking about and you are actually seeing "NHS deduction" on your payslip then you'd need to ask your employer to explain what it is for.
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 07:40:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Valerio,
The National Health Service (NHS) Surcharge is paid as a part of the visa application and grants the visa holder access to free health services in the UK.
When you are classed as employed if you earn certain amounts in your wage you are subject to pay National Insurance (NI) as mandatory.
The NI collected through pay goes towards other factors for benefits – out of work/state pension qualifying. Pay related National Insurance is collected to fund the NHS, health and social care.
They are separate processes, one to receive health care and the other funds it and opens the benefits of the state you can be eligible to.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.