Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:50:11 GMT by Colin
Hi, In March 2022 (just prior to 22/23 tax year) I made a voluntary contribution to a private pension. I was given basis-rate tax relief on this contribution by the pension contribution (i.e. amount paid into fund was my-contribution divided by 0.8). On my 21/22 self-assessment, I included the pension contribution under: "Payments to registered pension schemes where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called ‘relief at source’). Enter the payments and basic rate tax". The figure I entered was the amount with tax-relief. Midway through 22/23 tax year my tax-code was adjusted (increased) by HMRC with a "Personal Pension Relief" item equal to my pension contribution with tax-relief. Is this tax-code adjustment correct? Since I was given basic-rate tax-relief on the amount paid into my pension, I don't quite see why my tax-code for the following tax-year was adjusted. I'm now looking at my 22/23 self-assessment but would like to understand the above to ensure I file correctly. Thanks
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 09:59:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Your code would be adjusted to include the pension relief going forward but if it was a one off contribution this would need to be removed.

You can contact HMRC here.

Income Tax: general enquiries

On your 2022 to 2023 Self Assessment you would only declare pension contributions if you made any. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.