Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 19:42:18 GMT by
Before updating self asssessment I verified pay and tax deducted figures in P60 against the ones derived by tax calculator in UK gov. They are aligned and correct. But, after repeating same figures in self asssessment, I tried to view your calculation. Its result gave me a shock. Because the system asks me to pay additional tax in 2022-23. After reviewing its calculation results, the self assessment ignored the basic personal allowance (i.e. 12570 gbp). Did I input incorrectly to introduce this issue?
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:17:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You should receive the Personal Allowance in the calculation unless you earned over £100,000 during the tax year as the Personal Allowance reduces by £1 for every £2 you earn above that threshold. If you contact our Self Assessment team we can discuss the calculation with you.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:52:49 GMT by
Let me have a last clarification. Yes. I earned over 100k in 2022/23. But the company I work should apply pay as you earn to my pay. They should deduct all income tax before transferring net income to my bank account. Did they miss something? If I do not have other investment income, I may not submit self asssesssment again and this extra income tax may not be identify by tax assesssment submisssion. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:12:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ceci T,
The tax code they applied in 20/23 may not have had your estimated income over 100k.
If it did you would have been on a lower tax code.
When you complete your tax return it works out the correct tax based on your income for the year.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.