Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:10:59 GMT by
I am approaching retirement and have been looking to maximise payments to my pension to gain the 40% tax relief. Using the pension contribution calculator I can see what my allowance is, with the current max 60k plus any underpayments on the previous 3 years. My question is that, for a bonus I received in March 2023 but was not paid into the pension until April 5th 2023. Is there an option to consider this payment as arriving in the 2022/2023 tax year as it was a delay in the March pay run that caused it to only arrive in the pension fund on 5th April? I've a similar concern for this year's payment, and am trying to find out from my payroll dept if they can confirm when the payment will be made. It would be good to know if the actual payment date is the only date that can be considered when calculating the maximum contribution allowance.
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:25:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

No.  The arising basis of taxation will take the date the payment was paid into the pension scheme to determine the relevant tax year and not the date you received the bonus.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2024 08:00:49 GMT by Moongrazer
5th April is still inside 2022/2023 tax year - just - so you are still fine to include it in that year. (6th April is the start of the new tax year.)
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 10:31:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Moongrazer,

If the payment was made by the 5 April 2024 then can be included in the tax year. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.