Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:58:22 GMT by
I am doing a tax return for 22/23. I was gifted shares when I was in my teen in the 90s. I sold them in the last tax year. I do not have the trade confirmations for the purchase of the shares. However I have a statement showing stamp duty, commision and price paid for 666 of the shares. The additional shares 1671 were transferred to me and I only have the price per share on a statement no other information. What do I do? When I phoned up bank of Scotland the lady on the phone said the records were not available. Thank you in advance for any help
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:36:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

You can use the price of the shares on your statement, to work out the value of the shares at the time they were gifted to you.  This can then be used to work out if there is a capital gain, by

deducting the Allowable costs (including purchase price) from the Disposal proceeds.  If thre is no capital gains tax to pay, then there is nothing to report to HMRC.  There is a calculator at:

Tax when you sell shares.  

If there is a capital gains tax liability, you can report and pay the capital gains at:

Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax,

before 31 December or in a self assessment tax return after that date.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.