Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 18:50:11 GMT by
After struggling to speak to anyone at HMRC about my query I'm hoping someone can help me with a question. I have lived in France since Sept 2021 and I am registered for tax here. HMRC have changed the address on my account after I filled in the appropriate form for moving abroad. I paid tax via self assessment for many years - including tax year 2021-22 - while working as a freelancer in the UK prior to moving. Now I have been asked to fill in a self assessment tax form for 2022-23 but I can't understand why and cannot get a straight answer. Since my move to France I have freelanced and some of the companies I have carried out work for are UK-based, but I declare these earnings in France. I've started to fill in the self assesment form but I cannot find any box that allows me to say the my country of residency for tax is France - the only options are the nations of the UK. Why do I need to fill in the self assement form and if I do how do I complete it so that my declaration is accurate?
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:13:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you have left the UK then you can check if you need to complete a Self Assessment here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

If you do not meet the criteria you can submit a request to close your Self Assessment.

After checking the criteria and you are still not sure you will need to contact us to investigate.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.