Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 11:09:06 GMT by Miles25
Last tax year I paid directly into my company defined benefits pension scheme. I received the 20% tax benefit directly into the pension. As I'm a higher rate tax payer, who do I go about claiming the additional tax relief? Do I have to wait until I submit my self-assessment to get that or is there another way that I can apply the tax credit to the current tax year? Thanks in advance,
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 10:52:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Miles25,
If you have to complete a Self Assessment tax return, you would claim private pension relief on SA100, page TR4 box 1 or the online equivalent box. This will extend the amount of income taxed at 20%, reducing the amount taxed at 40% and so give tax relief.
You can have this tax relief included in your tax code, so that you receive the tax relief with each salary payment.
You still need to include this in your tax return at the box mentioned above.
To include in your tax code, you will need to write to:
H.M. Revenue and Customs Self Assessment BX9 1AS
To claim Private Residence Relief and include supporting evidence.
Your pension provider can supply details of how much you have paid in each month.
For convenience, please show in your letter, your gross annual payment figures otherwise, my colleagues will need to spend lots of time adding up the monthly payment into an annual figure, to include the tax relief in your tax code.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.