Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2024 08:21:13 GMT by oceanic
Hello I am just a normal average person. I get paid through paye tax roll by my employer. I was wanting to invest in an EIS scheme and depending on your answer the amount will be double or halved. I was wondering the below. 1) From what i have read income tax relief can be claimed on an EIS investment over 2 year period. the year before you invested and the year you invested. is this correct? 2) can the income tax relief investment be split over the two years? For instance i should have 1.5k in income tax paid last year and another 1.5k year this year going by my average p60.. So i was planning on making a 10k investment in an EIS company and having them issue me 2 certificates splitting the investment in half. So 5k and 5k eis certificates? Can i do that? 3) Can i then claim 1.5k income tax relief on last years and 1.5k on this year's once the 2 certificates are issued? please let me know if this makes sense. if i can't split it over the 2 years i won't bother to invest, as doing taxes is too stressful and worrisome. i only wanted to invest in eis schemes as it sounded free of all this paperwork stress. I avoid benefits, and everything as its too stressful. But I am now getting very stressed by the idea, i might accidentally be breaking the tax law. And honestly i can't afford to be paying tax accountants money to handle this stuff. So if it isn't possible i might just invest 5k or not bother. kind regards
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 15:43:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi oceanic,
Yes, you can split it over two years and you only need one certificate.
You can claim the relief in the year the investment was made and the year before.
Relief cannot be carried forward.
To claim the relief you would send the EIS3 form to:
PAYE & Self Assessment
BX9 1AS.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 16:26:56 GMT by oceanic
how do i do it? I've only ever invested in eis once. and i wrote a letter once to hmrc saying to do that. but the worker didn't do it. and just processed it normally. maybe cos i ticked the boxes wrong. is there something in particular i have to make sure i do on the form, a tick box, an amount, to split it between the two years.
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 16:27:17 GMT by oceanic
thank you for the reply.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2024 11:57:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
On the EIS certificate, there are 2 boxes for you to say how you want to claim. Complete both by stating the years and amounts and then send the certificate to
PAYE & Self Assessment

You must be signed in to post in this forum.