Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:21:41 GMT by
Date 26/01/2024 I have just gone onto the HMRC website to file my tax return and on logging in the first page asks me to update my address. I duly entered my address and then the date I moved in which was 22 years ago. The website will not allow me past this page, as it incorrectly states my date is earlier than the date they have on record!!! I have subsequently tried to enter every year up until last year just to get past this page, to fill in my tax return to no avail!!! I cannot now fill in my tax return and will probably be hit with a penalty for late submission when its the website at fault. I bet I will not be able to even get though to the tax office on Monday by phone either! Help!
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:54:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Skippy3435,
When you amend your address the date you moved must be after the current address held on our records.
As long as you are not moving country within the UK if you enter the date as the date you update the record this will let you update the address and file your tax return.
Alternatively you will need to contact HMRC to review/update:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 00:04:20 GMT by
Well I spent 1.5 on the phone holding to speak with HMRC yesterday. It turns out that my HMRC record had reverted back to using my old address from 22 years ago and this had changed with a date of 17/04/20!!!! How an earth can this system have done this? I moved to my current address 22 years ago and have been filling in self assessments for the last 7 years with my current address! Even that tax officer could not explain how it had happened. Now he has had to ‘fudge’ my account and enter yesterdays date as the day I moved into my current address as the system would not allow him to enter a date previous to 17/04/20!! This is totally inaccurate.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.