Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2024 16:23:04 GMT by Wojciech
I have a question on tax and possible tax relief for employees. Specifically my case - I am an employee in a company, work regular office job using laptop provided by my company. I commute to our office daily. Recently however it was announced that our office would be relocating - current office would be closed for a period of three months and the new office would be further from my home, increasing my travel time and costs - significantly. Based on information I found online, employees can claim equipment 'if you use the equipment for work and there’s no significant private use' and travel / overnight stay but 'You cannot claim for travelling to and from work, unless you’re travelling to a temporary place of work.' https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/travel-and-overnight-expenses https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/buying-other-equipment This seems rather limiting as in my case: I would be traveling to a 'regular' place of work - it is just far and it is expensive (my initial estimate is around £15,000 per year) I might need to use hotel / overnight stay given the time and costs - though again, it would be a 'regular' place of work, not a temporary one I would need to buy equipment to work from home for three months - though I don't know if the equipment would qualify as 'having no significant private use' - I need things like chair, monitors, desk etc. What options do I have to claim tax reliefs on the above? I have regular job and regular place of work - though I would have significant (new) expanses because of the relocation of the office - approximately 20,000 the first year and 15,000 each of the following year (which is a significant percentge of my salary). Am I able to reduce my tax liability?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2024 11:18:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi, 
This forum is for general queries only and is intended to help you self-serve. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific advice tailored to individual circumstances or offer any interpretation of the guidance available on gov.uk.   
Customers with more complex enquiries often engage the services of a professional advisor or accountant and this may be something you wish to consider.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.