Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:51:12 GMT by MD
Dear HMRC team, I am employed and tax is deducted from my payroll. I have not registered for UTR before, since I did not have any self-assessment. For the 2023/2024 tax year, I have earned interest(less than 10K) from my Bank savings account. Other than that, I do not have any other income. Please let me know if my understanding is correct: >I do not need to register for a UTR number(SA1), and do not need to send the self-assessment form(SA100) to notify HMRC about my interest earnings. Am I right? If yes, how and when would HMRC contact me to pay the tax from my interest income? I am a bit worried if my understanding is not correct, and if I do not send SA100 to notify my interest income and end up I will need to pay a penalty. Thank you for your advice, HMRC team.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:57:03 GMT by MD
Looking forward to hearing from you, HMRC team.
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 13:21:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If the untaxed interest is less than £10000, then you would not meet Self Assessment criteira for this. You can check if you meet Self Assessment criteria here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

If you do not need to complete a Self Assessment, then once HMRC receives your PAYE income and details of the untaxed interest received from the banks and building societies, we will review your record. If you have underpaid, we will issue a calculation to you with details of how the underpayment will be collected. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.