Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Jan 2024 21:24:47 GMT by
I have a gain on EIS shares on which I received income tax relief more than three years before the disposal. I have included the disposal in the capital gains section but I do not see a box on the self-assessment form where I can state the gain on the EIS shares so I can have the disposal relief. Should I exclude this disposal from the capital gains calculation and provide an 'additional information' note on the EIS disposal? Or how?
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:25:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi nmkilrea,
Please have a look at helpsheet HS297, as you may meet the criteria that means there is no Capital Gains Tax payable.
HS297 Capital Gains Tax and Enterprise Investment Scheme (2021)
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:57:45 GMT by
I have ordinary shares in an EIS eligible company, which are now worthless. Some of these shares I have already claimed EIS tax relief on, and I have claimed EIS loss relief for these on my 2022/2023 tax return. The other shares were purchased in 2018 and I have not previously claimed EIS tax relief on these. Can I claim EIS loss relief on the shares purchased in 2018 on my 2023/2024 tax return? Thank you, any help on this is appreciated
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:09:15 GMT by
I did look at Helpsheet 297 but it did not explain how you get the disposal relief if you include the gain in your CGT reporting (as it says you should). I had to complete my return so I excluded the proceeds and costs relating to this disposal from all my CGT calcs but gave all the details in a note.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:34:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

There is a 5 year time limit for claiming relief.  Relief must be claimed within the first 5 years of issue, otherwise, you will not be able to claim EIS relief. 

HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2023)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.