Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 10:20:28 GMT by maymaizy
Hi I'm currently living in Ireland and finding it vey difficult to contact you. Do you have a number I can ring from Ireland. an email or online chat? I paid the money to buy back gaps in years in June and wondering when this will show on my account and where/when/will I get a receipt to show money has been paid, and if the correct amount was paid or did I over/under pay? Thanks Mary
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 08:29:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi maymaizy,
It can take up to 8 weeks from making your payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions to it being shown on your Personal Tax Account. You may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline 
National Insurance: general enquiries
They will check your payment and arrange for it to be allocated.
It might be helpful if you had your payment details handy when you called just in case they are needed.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 13:19:12 GMT by KarenP
Like Mary I have made a payment, I plan to pay over a number of months, is that ok? I had completed the CF83 and I received a Statement for Buy Back Years. The amounts on the statement differ to what's online when I view 'View gaps in your record' is that correct? When can I see my payment has gone through ok? Thanks Karen
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 14:10:55 GMT by tredpath
I live overseas and I just paid a Voluntary NIC shortfall from my UK bank. I used the correct reference that I was given by the HMRC agent on the phone but I paid the money to HMRC NIC DEF PYT and not HMRC NIC RECEIPTS in error. Is this a problem? Thanks
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 07:58:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi tredpath,
There should be no problem with your payment because of the difference in the account name, but if you could wait 10 days from making your payment then call our National Insurance Helpline they will make sure that we have received it.
Our Helpline numbers are:  0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas).
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 08:01:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi karen,
We can confirm that you may pay your voluntary National Insurance contributions at the amounts shown in the letter until the Final Time Limit date shown. We would ask that you pay at least one full tax year for each payment that you make – although you may pay multiple tax years if you wish in one go.
From the details that you have given, it would appear that the shortfalls that you have received are at the voluntary Class 2 rate.  The shortfalls on your Personal Tax Account are always at the voluntary Class 3 rate so please use the amounts shown in the letter.
It may take up to 8 weeks from you making payment to it being recorded on your Personal Tax Account but you are always welcome to call our National Insurance Helpline to make sure that we have received it.
Please allow 10 days from making your payment to calling our Helpline. Their telephone numbers are 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas).
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.