Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:46:42 GMT by
I have filled the self assessments online form but see this on the page "6. View your calculation": "Sorry, we can't automatically calculate foreign credit relief for you. If you wish to work it out for yourself the figures below will help you." I am not sure what is missing in my input, tried to remove the foreign income section and everything is fine. I have foreign employment income from Hong Kong, but the income amount is smaller than the taxable amount in Hong Kong so I do not need to pay any tax there. Tried to input 0 in the field "Foreign tax paid" but it does not allow. Now the system require me to input "Foreign tax credit relief against UK Income Tax" when I click "Save and Continue" on page "6. View your calculation", what does it mean?
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:22:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You advise that you did not need to pay tax in Hong Kong on your employment income, as the amount of income was too low to pay tax. A foreign tax credit is claimed where foreign tax is paid on the income, so that you are not taxed twice on the same income.  

Leave the 'foreign tax credit relief for income tax' box blank and click on save and continue. You should now be able to view your tax calcuation.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.