Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:10:58 GMT by
My correct self assessment return for 2021-22 was not properly reflected. My system shows HMRC owe me £2988.51 but HMRC keeps sending letter telling me I owe HMRC £4737. What happened is that the £4737 was with my first submission dated back in Dec 20 2022, then I realised I didnt capure the higher tax my employer already charge me to offset the lack of tax I paid, plus some other work related expenses my company did not reimburse me and etc. Then I resubmitted my self assessment twice, one is on 12th Jan 2023 and the other one 24th Jan 2023 (the final one). After that my calculation appears HMRC owes me £2988. But HMRC system didnt capture that. I have recieved receipt from system so I am sure those two resubmissions have gone through successfully. I have been spoken to HMRC stuff to seek help since March, then I even called IT department to check any IT issue why you cant see my return and later on they told me they solved it. So I thought the problem fixed, but I still receive letters from you that I owe £4000+. But HMRC never paid me my £2,988. I've been making loads of calls to solve this but everyone is just passing my case to another one. I made many calls, waited very long time for each call, but no one was able to help me!
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:41:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Teresa,
I am sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced. Community Forum advisors are unable to access individual tax records.
Please write to or phone HMRC to resolve the issue.  
Alternatively, you can complain to HMRC.

Complain about HMRC

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.