Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 12:12:27 GMT by
Hey there, so I'm a little confused about my options now that my personal working situation has changed. I was a freelancer (sole trader) for about 9 years, submitting my self-assessment tax return each year. I then went full-time with a company last year, but I remained registered as self-employed at first because there was still a portion of the year where I had been self-employed, and therefore I had to submit a tax return this past April. For the current tax year, I don't anticipate doing any self-employed work, so all my earnings will be taxed at source through my employer. And I don't have any other sources of income that would need to go down on a self-assessment (e.g. pension or property) Now, I want to know what I should do in terms of my self-employed status -- feedback appreciated. 1. Am I able to remain registered as self-employed and when it comes to doing my self-assessment next April, I simply put my income from self-employment down as "zero"? Is this normal, accepted practice? The reason I ask is that while I don't expect to be doing any self-employed work in the current tax year, it's nice to have the option, plus who knows, my situation might change next year or the year after and it would save me a whole lot of hassle re-registering as self-employed. 2. If I ultimately decide that I don't want the hassle of filing a tax return each April, what do I actually need to do here to "de-register" as self-employed and just have all my tax dealt with through my company's payroll?
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:36:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you are not sure if you will do self employed work then yes you can leave the self employed record open and complete a Self Assessment at the end of each tax year.

If your self employment stops you will need to notify HMRC.

Stop being self-employed

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 15:00:18 GMT by
Hi I am in a similar situation about to take on a part time permanent role - however I do anticipate doing some self employed work. I am happy to continue to complete self assessment tax returns. What's the simplest way of handling my tax status going forward? I would like to be clear from the outset about tax codes etc. from my new employer. I will be paying basic rate tax. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 13:27:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Karen Footman,
If you continue to be self employed and your gross annual turnover form self employment is over £1000.00, then you will need to continue submitting tax returns, declaring your world-wide income.
This will include your employment income.
If your self employment ceases or your gross turnover is less than £1000, a tax return may no longer be required.
Please answer the questions here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return,
To determing if a tax return is still required.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.