Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:19:26 GMT by al1918 YU
Hi, I'm just arriving UK so don't have unique tax reference number (UTR) now. I'm going to be UK tax resident 23/24 and onward, I do have oversea income that potentially taxable in the UK, but do not have any UK source income (not own business, not under employment nor self-employed) Do I need to register for self-assessment and obtain a UTR? Thanks
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 06:40:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi al1918 YU,
As a UK resident with overseas income, yes, you should register for Self Assessment and obtain a UTR.                                    
 Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
 Tax on foreign income         
Thank you.             

You must be signed in to post in this forum.