Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 17:51:30 GMT by Solomace
Hi all, I was made redundant back in January and when I got my redundancy pay, I wasn’t taxed on £30k, but was taxed on the amount over that. No problem, Today I received a self assessment form and when I've queried on the phone with the HMRC, they said yes I need to fill it in even though I’m not and have never been self employed? I’ve spoken to my colleagues who were made redundant and have similar figures and none of them have been asked to do this, and checking on this website and filling in the self assessment checker, it says I don’t need to. Any ideas on this as to why I’ve got this? No other income, no selling of stuff etc. I did get a new job in March working for another company, but once again not self employed and I’m paying tax as I should on this, Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 11:23:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you have used our online tool and the answers indicate that you do not need to complete a tax return then this is correct.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Please then contact our Self Assessment team again and we will take steps to update your records accordingly.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.