Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:18:29 GMT by
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:50:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Correct. 

If the disposal value minus acquisition costs and disposal costs in the tax year, result in a gain that is below
the annual exempt amount of £12300 in 22/23, then there is nothing to declare. 

If, however, the total disposal value exceeds £49200 and you have to complete a tax return for any other reason,
then you need to include the gain in your tax return, whether capital gains tax is payable or not.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:26:50 GMT by
Many thanks for this feedback. All clear. One follow up question: - Is there a minimum amount of dividend that does not need to be disclosed when I am filling Self Assessment? For example, If I recieved £60 of dividends in a tax year (which is safely within dividend tax allowance), do I need to include this amount in my Self Assessment?
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 05:57:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi andy1,
If you have to complete a Self Assessment tax return, you must declare all of your world-wide income, no matter how small.
Self assessment will then apply the £2000 dividend allowance to your UK and foreign dividends and tax them accordingly.
So if your only dividends at £60, you must still declare this and Self  Assessment will set is against the £2000 dividend allowance.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.