Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 17:13:43 GMT by author-michael
I am a writer and in previous years have done my SA tax return online. However, I can't see any option on the self employed pages for this year's return to take advantage of authors averaging, having sold my first novel last year. Is this possible to set up online? Or will I have to send a paper return?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 13:21:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You need to complete the full self employment page, you will probably need to select the turnover over £86,000 for this. For this to appear and look for the box.   

Averaging adjustment, only for farmers, market gardeners and creators of literary or artistic works.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 14:10:11 GMT by author-michael
Many thanks for your reply. I am not currently subject to VAT. However, having done as you suggest above it asks for more detailed expenses on the basis I am subject to VAT (due to selecting the turnover being over £86k, even though when I input my turnover it is around £25k). I just want to check, in the final calculation of my self employment income, HMRC/Self-Assessment will not subject me to VAT will it?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 13:52:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Self Assessment does not calculate VAT. It is only responsible for calculating Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, student loan repayment and class 2 and class 4 National Insurance contributions where appropriate.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2024 20:45:30 GMT by author-michael
Thank you. I just want to be sure that selecting the turnover over 86000 to do the averaging won’t result in HMRC chasing me for VAT in some way even though I’m not liable for it?
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 11:47:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
No.  There is nothing to worry about in that respect.  The self assessment and partnership pages are divided into the short version and the full version.  There are some circumstances that require the completion of the full version, as the required boxes are not found on the short version.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.