Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:50:01 GMT by
I've been trying out some US-based online paid work. As I'm currently just trying it out, I don't know how much I'll earn in this tax year. I currently have no other employment. I'm not claiming any form of benefit. So, if I earn (say) £1,000 for the current tax year, is there any need to self-assess?
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:10:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

As you will not know your income until 5 April 2024, you would wait until then. If the turnover is over £1000 you will declare this as self employment and can claim the trading allowance. If below then you dont need to report it.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:49:31 GMT by
I'm not convinced that I'm self-employed. I've eventually found your definitions and I my position seems more like what you define as a Worker (i.e. not even an Employee). I don't work for myself, I work for a third party. They make pieces of work (AI testing) available to me and I either do them, or not. There's no PAYE; it's my responsibility to declare to HMRC, which I'd like to do. Currently, I do bits of the work when I'm not studying. When I get more time to myself (soon), I anticipate doing as much of the work as I can.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:34:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Although working for a third party, you are providing your service to to complete any work. This is seen as being self employed and as such, if your turnover os over £1000 you need to complete a tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.