Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 10:53:11 GMT by Maryna Mazur
Hi. I am in UK on Ukraine Scheme visa, arrived in 2023, and I intend to return to my home country once it is considered safe. Meanwhile I still work remotely for my Ukrainian employer and receive salary to my bank account in Ukraine, accessible to me in UK only via ATM cash withdrawal. Am I correct that I am considered a UK resident and non-UK domiciled, and, according to the guidance note for residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis-rules-uk-tax-liability/guidance-note-for-residence-domicile-and-the-remittance-basis-rdr1#the-remittance-basis-of-taxation), 6.5, 9.5, and 9.27, I can use the remittance basis so that my foreign income is not liable to UK tax, and I am not required to complete a Self Assessment tax return as long as I do not earn any income in UK?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 08:31:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We cannot advise you on your residence status as that is for you to confirm using the guidance available. If you are non domiciled you can opt for the remittance basis but you must complete a tax return to confirm this.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.