Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 21:14:10 GMT by
This is my initial attempt at submitting a self assessment. I am currently self-employed and have successfully registered a business tax account gateway. Additionally, I possess another gateway associated with a UTR number designated for my personal tax account. My intention is to file a self-assessment for both my self-employed income (which falls below GBP85,000) and my personal income. I am curious as to why the self-assessment form is located within my self-employed account rather than my personal tax account. Could you please advise me on which account I should complete the form in?
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:40:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The business tax account is geared towards limited companies who pay Corporation Tax. For individuals, who are a sole trader, self employed, they would use their personal tax account and UTR to submit a tax return.  

When tailoring your return, you would select 'yes' to the question for self employment. This will bring up the relevant self employment questions and boxes you need to declare your turnover and expenses.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.