Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 17:56:10 GMT by Melinda Smith
Hi Officer, I hope you are doing well. I'm a Director and share holder of a Hong Kong limited company. I didn't receive any income from Hong Kong since I moved to UK from 25th Jan. 2021. I and my family lived in Air B and B until 19th Apr, 2021. We rent a house starting from 20th Apr., 21. Do I need to submit the self assessment for the period of April 20 to March 21 when I was not a UK resident at that time? I didn't have any income for the whole year from 25th Jan, 21 to 14th April 22. Do I need to submit any self assessment in the year of Apr 21 to Apr 22 even though I didn't have any income except few hundred pounds of interest earned? I'm employed as a Sales Manager by my company again starting from 15 Apr 22 till now, not an employed Director and no dividend from the company . I know I need to submit my self assement this year. When I tried to fill in my personal information in the Business registration form, should I tick the box of Director? It would be highly appreciated if you can answer my questions. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 10:08:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Melinda Law,
As you no income in the earlier years, no tax return is required.
When registering for Self Assessment , it will be for your foreign income.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.