Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 19:01:39 GMT by
Hello. I'm looking for some advice regarding my annual self assessment (rental income on my UK property) for the next 2 tax years following moving to Myanmar for work in a week -for up to 2 years. (I won't know my new address and Myanmar telephone number until a few days afterI arrive.) Despite obtaining a VPN and getting a new Myanmar sim on arrival, I'm concerned about accessing my account to view payments as this requires phone verification. (I'll also retain my existing UK sim/number after I move) . Also for the 2023-24 self assessment return having spent 8 months of the (2023/24) tax year in the UK presumably this will have to on split year basis and require a paper submission not online (I don't have the special software required)? Before I leave next week, I'm trying to ensure I can assess my records later and understand whether I can submit online for future tax submissions. Having been non-resident previously (South Korea) for a few years I experienced numerous difficulties accessing my online account, due to problems with receiving verification codes and considerable delays in receiving post to my address overseas - being unaware of payments required. (Also, when I returned to the UK in 2021 I was told by HMRC it would take up to 6 months to register my change in telephone number for verification purposes to access my account) Myanmar online restrictions are likely to present more complex challenges to submitting and responding to annual adjustments. Thanks for any assistance.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:07:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you need to complete the non resident page then you will not be able to do this using HMRC online. You would need to complete the paper tax return or use third party commercial software.

Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

For assistance accessing your online account you will need to contact our online helpdesk.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:23:29 GMT by
Thanks for this. I'm know that if I'm non resident then I can only submit a paper Self assessment. - I did this in South Korea for 4 years. My question was - on my next SA submission 2023-24, although I have now moved to Myanmar, my submission will be as resident as I spent over 183 days (8 months) of that tax year in the UK therefore, I am therefore able to submit online? Or are you saying that as I have moved, I'm regarded as non resident now and cannot submit online irrespective of whether I was resident for the tax year in question? Also, as I asked above - for the 2023/24 SA return, as I will have also have been in Myanmar for approximately for 4 months - Will this entail completing "split years" on the SA? Thanks for your assistance.
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 14:52:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As resident for 2022/23, you can submit online as no residence page is required. For 2023/24, if you are claiming split year, you will need to resort to paper forms again.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.