Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:39:20 GMT by Dokkan
Hello, I am a 70 years old lady came from Hong Kong mid-last year together with my son's family. I am not going to work in UK and I have a small amount of bank interest income would require to do self-assessment. This is however, looks like the self-assessment required an NI number in order to register the gateway and when I apply the NI, Looks like i am not eligible as I am not going to work/have job in UK. In this case, what's the recommendation of? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 12:59:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You will need to register for self assessment, to declare your taxable overseas pensions.  

You can regiser for self assessment at:

Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed

If you cannot do this online you can fill in the form at:

Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return

You can print it off and send to HM Revenue and Custom BX1 9AS.  If you are asked do you have a UK national insurance number, please select 'No'.  You will be asked to provide a reason why you do not have one.  You would just need to mention that you have just relocated to the UK, so do not have a UK NINO.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.