Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 19:27:32 GMT by
Hi Sir, I registered for Self Assessment and choose "Register if you're not self-employed" last year since I had to appy split year and I had an employment income. In this year, I start my self employed job, but I have continuous my employment job. Do I need to re-register for Self Assessment and choose "Register if you're not self-employed"? Thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:18:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

No, you do not need to register. The 10 digit UTR number you have, will still be used.  

Instead you will need to contact our National Insurance team for the newly self employed. You will need a National Insurance number, otherwise, they cannot help. 

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:13:55 GMT by
Hi HMRC, Thank you for your reply. I have already applied for the National Insurance and I have a NI number already. I would like to confirm if I do need to get another NI number for my self employed job. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:31:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Raymond_33,
You only receive one National Insurance number, which is unique to you and covers everything tax and National Insurance related, for your whole life.
 If you have self employment with a turnover in excess of £1000.00, you will need to register for Self Assessment, as self employed, to ensure that National Insurance payments will be deducted from your profits.
You can do this at:
Register for Self Assessment
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.