Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 01:07:12 GMT by paszczaqp Tom
I have to complete self assessment for few reason. Everything is pretty straightforward with accounting for regular income but I am trying to seek confirmation on where to record a £3000 miscellaneous or casual income that exceeded £1000 trading allowance but wasn’t earned as a part of any formally registered self-employment. So almost like hobby jobs for friend and family. There is section for casual/miscellaneous income in other income but if I declare in there can I still apply £1000 trading allowance deduction somewhere else or should I just deduct the amount earned by the amount of trading allowance in this case?
Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:47:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hello, paszczaqp Tom
You can only claim 1 trading allowance so wether you claim it against the £3000 or the general self employment is up to you. the casual income should be declared as other income.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:25:14 GMT by paszczaqp Tom
Thank you for your replay. Ok so we only claim the trading allowance once, of course. I would just like to confirm that we do it correctly: We have total of 3000 miscellaneous/hobby income which we will be declaring in the Other Income section. However there is no box to utilise the £1000 miscellaneous income allowance. We checked and this allowance is not applied in the calculations automatically, so we presume that we should deduct £1000 allowance from total £3000 and declare £2000 as total Other Income. We would appreciate if you could confirm this process is correct?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:39:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi paszczaqp Tom
You will declare this hobby income as self employment so when completing the tax return you will have 2 self employment sources.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.