Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 17:34:40 GMT by
I have been filling in a Self Assesment for years now, because I rent a flat out. For the last few years I've also been paying off a student loan via my PAYE. In April 2022, I only had a balance of £53 to pay. This would have been paid off by May 2022. Anyway in my tax calculation for 2022-2023 I saw the tax seemed very high, which I put down to the changes in what you can offset against a rental property. Anyway I submitted my return and paid the tax I owed. I went back though and saw a line where it had added "plus Student loan" of an amount over £3000. This seems to be then added on as money I owe HMRC. I think this is because there is a box ticked which I ticket yes to, but put "0" in for any Student loan payments made. I've since gone back in and deleted this section, explaining that my student loan is paid off, this has made my tax much lower and seemingly better. I rang Student Loans company and they told me that I of course had paid it all. They are writing a letter to explain this. Also this year I got sa tax refund for the tax year 2021-2022, which I could not understand, but now looking back it seems that again a large amount of Student loan "plus" was added in the calculation. Does HMRC need to be told that the loan is paid off? If they are not told do they assume that loan money is owed back? It seems to be very unclear and doesn't make sense. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:02:39 GMT by
I agree it’s really unclear and is appearing a massive unexpected fee for myself too. Especially when the self employment income is just a small amount. Can anyone advise?
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:26:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Maxtv76,
We would normally be advised that the loan had been paid off. however, for Self Assessment, any charges are based on what you declare and by stating you still had a loan, it assumed it was not paid in full.
You would need to say no to this question to show that no student loan charges were added.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.