Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 21:40:18 GMT by nyuen
Hello, I sold my foreign stock and bonds last year, and both of them were sold at a loss. There are also no more dividends/ interests gained from that. Do I need to mention that I sold them and report the loss amount in the self-assessment form? If so, which form and where I can fill this info in? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:16:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

It is entirely your choice whether to report the losses or not. You have 4 years from the end of the tax year the loss arises.  
If you declare the losses within the allowed time-frame, you can carry them forward and set them against a future gain.  
If you are required to submit a tax return, you claim the losses in the capital gains section.  
If you do not need to complete a tax return, you submit your loss claim in writing to H.M. Revenue and Customs Pay As You Earn BX9 1AS.  In either case, supporting evidence should be included, such as calculations of the losses.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.