Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2024 16:11:40 GMT by DDursley
Hi, I am a UK resident with dual UK-Romanian nationality. I have a share in a Romanian company and received a dividend in the 2023-2024 tax year, on which 8% tax was paid by the company in Romania. On completing my self-assessment it didn't appear to allow me to claim foreign tax relief: can I claim tax relief from HMRC? Or do I need to claim in Romania? I have read through the double taxation agreement and Article 10.1.b seems the relevant clause, does this mean I would be charged 15% tax in the UK? If so, how do I complete this on my tax return? any advice would be appreciated thank you.
Posted Wed, 02 Oct 2024 08:15:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi DDursley,
You can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief in your tax return.  
You can amend your online tax return by logging into your personal tax account.
If you are ensure that all income and dividends are included in the tax return, you then go to the calculation and note how much UK tax is being charged on your dividends.
Next take a note of your gross Romanian dividend and work out 15% of that value.
This is maximum Foreign Tax Credit you can claim.
If the UK tax is more than this amount, you claim the maximum.
If the UK dividend tax is less than the maximum calcuated, then you claim the amount needed to cover the UK dividend tax.
You enter this in the FTCR section and resubmit.
Alternatively, you can have my colleagues work this out for you by contacting the Self Asessment helpline here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.