Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 05:07:34 GMT by simone895 Simonowicz
Hi, I hope you’re well! My situation is quite complicated and your help would be very much appreciated. I’ve been employed/hired in the UK for the past 10 years, on a payroll. I’ve also been self-employed in the UK, doing some side hustles. However, I have recently decided to search for a remote work, because of personal circumstances: my partner and mother are currently both abroad. My new employer is EU-based and I’ll be working for them as self-employed. I’d like to move abroad, staying with my partner and mother, but I’d like to continue paying tax/self-assess in the UK and for my income to be paid to my UK account. Is that possible? I’ll be moving in October. Been in the UK most of this tax year, so far, although, I also travelled abroad during this tax year as well. Thank you in advance!
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 09:03:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi simone895,
You will only continue to pay tax in the UK if you are UK resident or continue to have UK income.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 09:11:20 GMT by simone895 Simonowicz
Thank you so much HMRC Admin! What if I pay my EU income into my UK account? Will this count as UK income?
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:27:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

If you move to another country to live, then you will be taxable your world-wide income in that country.  If you choose to transfer your earnings into a UK bank account after paying tax on it in the other country, then no further tax is payable on those savings.  You don't get to choose which country you want to be taxed in.  This is based on your country of residence and the tax treaties that country has with other countries.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 10:08:34 GMT by simone895 Simonowicz
Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you so very much! This is really helpful and clarifies things for me. My apologies, but just to make things even clearer: -I understand that I'll have to pay my income in the country of residence. However, this income will be on self-employment/sole trader basis only - can I choose to pay tax in the UK, as a non-resident sole trader? -if the above is incorrect and I'll have to pay my sole trading income in the country of residence, specifically for this financial year (2024-2025), will I have to do my Self Assessment in the UK, and then continue paying tax in the country of residence? My apologies but this is a very new situation for me and I want to be super clear - I'll also use some tax advisor services, but I wanted to double check with HMRC first, Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you, Gosia
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 14:14:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi simone895 Simonowicz,
No, you will need to refer to the tax treaty , if there is one, with the UK and the other country.
There will be an article for self employment, sometime noted as 'independent personal services'.
This will usually state that if you are resident in the other country then you are taxable in the other country.
Tax treaties
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 14:51:21 GMT by simone895 Simonowicz
Thank you! Last question for now, please (sorry about the plentitude of questions here!) Does the above apply in case the income from the EU company I'll be working for as self-employed will be paid into my UK account? (so far, I'm still in the UK and so I'll want them to pay to my UK account and remain so, after I move out). Thank you, Gosia
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 13:43:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

When in the UK, it is part of your self employment turnover. Once you leave the UK then it is not liable here as you will not be resident. You will declare it in the country in which you are resident and pay the tax there.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.