Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:13:38 GMT by
I am completing my self-assessment tax return for a year in which I received a redundancy payment greater than £30K which was from my previous employment in Hong Kong. I moved to England on 23/5/2022. I received the redundancy payment on 27/5/2022. May I know is this amount subject to UK tax? If yes, how do I reflect this on a self-assessment tax return?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:01:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi auellen,
No,this is a redundancy payment arising from your employment in Hong Kong, when you were resident in Hong Kong.
Any tax payable on it is paid in Hong Kong.
You can include it in the additional information box, for information only, in the interests of full disclosure.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.